Thursday, July 30, 2009

Flooring is nearly complete!

One of the things we decided to do right away was to do away with the floors in the bedrooms. At some point they put in really yucky carpet and it was so filthy if you walked on it, your feet turned black. So nasty.



floors with carpet of hidden grossness

So after ripping up the carpet, we discovered two things. One, the floors under the carpet were the original 1890's subfloor/floor and were large planks of soft wood. They were obviously set lower than the floors in the rest of the house, as those are hardwood from the 1920s or 1930s. We opted to just bite the bullet and have historically accurate, matching floors put in. That included nailing the boards, mitering the edges to follow the trim of the room, and all that wonderful business.



laid floors, no stain!

They already are worlds better than what was in there before. Not that I don't absolutely love nasty carpet, but we all have sacrifices to make!

One thing that does bother me about the floors that are being put in is that the wood has a lot more dark, deep grain than the rest of the house. And although the floor guy is constantly praising how perfect the stain is, I'm not sold. I can tell it's not exactly the same color, and in fact, not really that close. I admit I'm picky and being an artist, I can really tell the difference between colors and I notice the little things... like the grain. To me, it's a huge thing. To Rob, it's nothing.

Anyway, I dislike feeling like they are constantly trying to sell me on the job they are doing when I know it's not perfect or anywhere near perfect. I'd prefer them to be honest and say "this is as close as we can get it, and the wood does have a lot more grain, but it would be impossible to get the same kind of wood that was used on the original floors."

Honesty matters, I don't think I can handle one more "I AM SO AWESOME" from the floor guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment